Last Updated on February 15, 2021
Since you are searching for the best memory foam mattresses of 2021, I can safely presume that you are a great fan of the classic “hug feel” associated with these kinds of mattresses. People who love foam mattresses seek better contouring. Such mattresses are known to confirm closer to the body and also great in terms of pressure relief. Those who suffer from chronic pain look for such mattresses that can help them sleep better.
Not just this, memory foam mattresses are also known to isolate motion pretty well. Moreover, they are noiseless and do not make any squeaky sounds when you move on them or change position while sleeping. These two facts are more than enough to make them a hot favorite among those that sleep with a partner and sexually active couples.
So, without much ado, let’s check out the 2021’s best memory foam mattresses (including the newest models that pack on extra features) so that you can take your pick and order the one that best suits your needs.
List of Best Memory Foam Mattresses 2021
These are the best memory foam mattresses of 2021 that are affordable in price and are best in quality.
Top-Selling Memory Foam Mattresses Reviews of 2021
Let’s check out the main features of each of these mattresses and also find out who they are best suited for…
- Exceptionally Durable
- Good Temperature Neutrality
- Suits All Sleepers
- Good Pressure Relief without Sink
Winkbeds is a name that has become synonymous with high-quality mattresses whether they are hybrids or all-foam. It is the top-rated brand within the category of springless mattresses too.
- Comes in 3 firmness levels.
- Provides good pressure relief.
- Helps sleep cool.
- Good for side sleepers.
- Isolates motion well.
- Offers good back support.
- Setting it up is easy.
- Not the perfect choice for people who sleep really hot.
- Not the right choice for sleepers seeking an extra firm mattress.
The GravityLux from Winkbeds is an all-foam mattress that is being promoted as the Memory Foam 2.0 since it comes with some highly advanced features that tackle some of the common problems associated with memory foam mattresses.
One of such problems is temperature control, which GravityLux handles beautifully well so that you can sleep well without feeling hot or without sweating!
The GravityLux is a 12-inch mattress that comprises of a memory foam comfort layer along with a high-density foam support core.
This mattress comes in 2 firmness levels that include:
- Soft (4 on Firmness Scale)
- Medium (5 on Firmness Scale) and
- Firm (7 on Firmness Scale)
Thus, it can be said that it caters to a large section of sleepers depending upon their choice of firmness.
But why do they call their foam mattress Memory Foam 2.0?
The GravityLux comes with memory foam that has a couple of advanced features and these include the following:
- Pressure Relief without the Sink – One of the most common problems with memory foam mattresses is that they can result in deep sinking. These mattresses give the feeling of sleeping in the mattress rather than sleeping on the mattress. The GravityLux tackles the sink while offering good pressure relief and it is able to do so with its unique structural change. Each tiny cell in the memory foam used in this mattress acts like a shock absorber and prevents the sleeper to get sunk deep into the mattress. At the same time, as the pressure increases, each cell tends to release air and offer support and comfort to the body.
- Contouring Comfort Without the Heat – Yet another common problem with memory foam mattresses is that with high contouring the mattress tends to trap heat which can make the sleeper feel hot or even sweat out. This is a problem that has been taken care of in the GravityLux with the help of AirCell technology which makes sure that the foam is able to dissipate body heat faster rather than trapping it inside. Thus, it can help you sleep without feeling hot.
- Reduced Motion Transfer – While memory foam mattresses generally perform well when it comes to isolating motion, GravityLux goes a step further with each of its shock-absorbing air capsules moving independently to absorb motion. The net result is that the mattress absorbs motion so effectively that you do not get disturbed in your sleep when your partner moves or changes position while sleeping.
- Targeted Pressure Point Relief – In this case also, the GravityLux performs better than other foam mattresses. Its AirCell foam offers pushback body support in varying zones. What it means is that it works to relieve pressure off main areas such as your hips and shoulders and provides more support to the targeted areas like the lumbar area or the lower back.
- Dynamic Back Support – Another key area where this mattress excels is back supported. The AirCell foam has n open structure and the main plus point is that is comfortably molds to your body weight and keeps all the muscles and joints relaxed and properly aligned. It’s important to note that misalignment is often the underlying cause that you wake up with aches and pains.
- All kinds of sleepers – This is one mattress that suits practically every type of sleeper including side, stomach, back and combination sleepers. This is because GravityLux uses responsive foams that react and contour to the sleeper’s body and provides targeted relief to the pressure points in your body that need it the most.
- Suits Light, Medium, and Heavy Sleepers – Since GravityLux comes in 3 firmness levels, it suits the needs of all sleepers irrespective of their body weight.
- Suits Hot Sleepers – GravityLux is a better performer in this category than most other memory foam mattresses. It comes with a Tencel cover that is highly breathable and the foams layers come with gel infusion to ensure a better cooling effect.
- Couples – This is a mattress that isolates movement pretty well and is also a silent mattress. This makes it an ideal choice for couples.
Does Not Suit:
- Sleepers on a Budget – Even though GravityLux from Winkbeds is not as highly-priced as some of the other luxury brands, it definitely does not carry a cheap price tag. So, if you are looking for something to suit your tight budget, you might look for some other alternatives.
- Sleepers Looking for an Extra Firm Mattress – If you are a heavy sleeper or you are looking for an extra firm mattress then you should consider some other brand. The Firm model of this mattress is rated at 7 on the firmness scale and is not the right one for those looking for an extra firm model.
The GravityLux from Winkbed is an all-Americal mattress that offers luxury at an affordable price. It is a great option to consider when looking for the best memory foam mattress in a box.
It comes with a 120-night sleep trial and a 30 night break-in period which means you should have used it for at least 30 before you can put in your claim for a refund. And if you decide to keep the mattress then it comes with a lifetime warranty.
- More Affordable than Casper & Purple
- Good Pressure Relief
- Suits Back and Stomach Sleepers
- Good Breathability
Nectar Sleep is not just another brand. It’s a brand that is well-known for its high-quality and affordable mattresses that perform well on a lot of counts.
- Affordable with great features.
- Provides good contouring.
- Great for pressure relief.
- Isolates motion well.
- Helps sleep cool.
- Not suitable for light sleepers that sleep on their side.
- Not suitable for those that sleep really hot.
The Nectar Mattress:
- It is a Medium-Firm mattress rated at 6.5 on the Firmness Scale
- Comes with a Tencel cover to ensure better airflow
- Gives a good hug to the body, which is so desirable of a memory foam mattress
- Performs well when it comes to pressure relief
- Has been getting excellent user reviews
More About The Nectar Mattress
This is a mattress that is the perfect choice for people seeking a good hug as well as decent pressure relief.
It comes with a Tencel cover on top to ensure a good plush feel as well as high breathability. Below the cover is a layer of gel-infused memory foam to help achieve better temperature control. This helps reduce body heat and helps you sleep cooler. Even though a memory foam mattress is not supposed to be as cool as a hybrid or a coil mattress, the Nectar does a pretty decent job at dissipating body heat so that you do not sweat while sleeping.
The next layer comprises of a transition foam that not only prevents the sleeper from getting sunk deep into the bed but also provides good support and cushioning and does a great job at relieving pressure.
Last, but not the least, The Nectar comes with a support layer of foam that forms the base of the mattress.
- Sleepers looking for a high-quality mattress at an affordable price – One of the biggest selling points of this mattress is that it provides amazing features at an affordable price. Compared to other brands like Casper and Purple, Nectar is quite cheap and easy on the pocket while offering similar features.
- Those seeking extra cushioning – The comfort layers on this mattress total up to a good 4 inches. The two layers of foam on top of the mattress make it great for pressure relief.
- Back and Stomach Sleepers – The Nectar mattress is a great choice for back and stomach sleepers since it is Medium-Firm and pr0vides good support without making them sink deep into the mattress.
- Back Pain Sufferers – It is also a good choice for those suffering from back pain since it ensures good confirming and pressure relief.
Does Not Suit:
- Lightweight Side Sleepers – Since it is Medium-Firm, lightweight side sleepers may find it too firm.
The Nectar Mattress is a brand that offers great support and is a perfect choice for those seeking a mattress that can help them relieve back pain. It is often referred to as the Smart foam mattress that offers amazing pressure relief coupled with good contouring and improved breathability. It comes with a generous 365-nights sleep trial and a lifetime warranty.
This is a mattress that is extremely popular and highly recommended too.
- Uses Bio-Pur® in place of Memory Foam
- Cooler than Memory Foam
- Good Pressure Relief
- Suits Back and Stomach Sleepers
Amerisleep is a brand that is famous for its memory foam mattresses that offer a lot of desirable features. There goes a lot of thought and research into the construction of each of their mattresses within the product line.
- Made in the US.
- Highly popular model.
- More breathable and cooler than conventional memory foam mattresses.
- Offer good contouring and pressure relief.
- Provides zoned support to relieve pain.
- Good for back pain sufferers.
- Does not suit heavy sleepers that sleep on their back or stomach.
Next, on the list of top-rated memory foam mattresses is AS3 by Amerisleep.
AS3 is one of their most popular models and what makes it stand apart from other competing brands it is that is exceptionally cooler as compared to other memory foam mattresses.
Now, this is a mattress that comes with a Bio-Pur® rather than the conventional memory foam. Amerisleep has used Bio-Pur® since 2009 and has won a lot of positive reviews because of it. It is much cooler than memory foam and also provides amazing pressure relief.
What makes Bio-Pur® stand apart is that it has an open-cell structure and it allows air to move freely. This helps prevent heat build-up and can help hot sleepers sleep without sweating or feeling hot. Its important to note here that one of the major problems with memory foam is that it can trap body heat and make you sleep hot. Amerisleep AS3 takes care of this quite effectively.
Over and above, Bio-Pur® is made up of eco-friendly materials which is a step towards better health, apart from being better in terms of breathability. Another major benefit of Bio-Pur® is that it more responsive as compared to the conventional memory foam. What it means is that it quickly springs back to its original shape within a matter of seconds. What it implies is that you do not get that sinking feeling.
It is certainly more supportive too.
Apart from Bio-Pur®, Amerisleep AS3 comes with another major feature that makes it an excellent memory foam mattress and that is its HIVE transition layer. This layer is particularly designed to ensure better pressure relief and zoned support. It excels in ensuring proper spine alignment so that you do not experience any kind of back or neck pain.
The support base of this mattress is made up of 7 inches of sturdy and high-density polyfoam. This mattress is able to isolate motion pretty well and allows easy movement in and out of the bed. It is a great choice for couples too.
- Sleepers who seeking a cool foam mattress – People who love memory foam mattress but do not want to sleep hot like this mattress a lot because of its cooling effects.
- Sleepers seeking good pressure relief – People looking for a mattress that can help relieve pressure from main pressure points such as the shoulders and hips while offering good support.
- Back and Stomach sleepers – This mattress is a good choice for back and stomach sleepers who weigh less than 130 lbs.
Does Not Suit:
- Those looking for a firm mattress – This mattress that comes with a medium feel. Even though it suits a wide range of sleepers, heavy folks who prefer to sleep on their back or stomach may find some sinkage in the midsection.
Amerisleep is a good choice for those looking a memory foam mattress with enhanced cooling technology. This is a mattress that comes with a 100-nights risk-free sleep trial and if you decide to keep the mattress after the trial period, then it is covered by a 20-year warranty.
- Great Budget Mattress
- Good Motion Isolation and Pressure Relief
- Suits Couples
- Suits Sleepers Less than 230 lbs
When it comes to the highest-rated flippable memory foam mattresses, Layla is one of the best picks for you to have. It comes with a dual firmness option with one side begin Medium Soft (4) and the other being Firm (7). Thus, this is a mattress that can suit a wide range of sleepers with different sleeping positions and across various bodyweight categories.
- Flippable mattress with Medium Soft and Firm Sides
- Suits a wide range of sleepers
- Offers good pressure relief
- Helps sleep cool with Copper-Infused foam
- Firm Side offers great support
- Since it lacks bounce and can also make you sink into the mattress, it is not suitable for having sex.
- Even though it is quite cool with Copper-Infused foam, it is not the right choice for those that sleep really hot.
One of the most striking features of Layla Memory Foam mattress is that it comes with a unique copper infused memory foam in the comfort layers. Now, this copper infusion makes it even cooler than graphite-infused memory foam that a couple of other mattresses are known to come with.
Medium Soft Side
Medium Soft side of this mattress comes with a 3-inch copper-infused memory foam layer over a 2-inches thick layer of convoluted polyfoam. It has a support core of 4.5 inches thick high-density polyfoam for support.
This side comes with closer contouring and is a hit among lightweight sleepers.
The firm side of this mattress comes with 1-inch copper-infused memory foam. While this ensures a decent cooling effect it also enhances the firmness and support offered. Heavier sleepers and those that need extra firmness, naturally, prefer this side of the mattress.
Layla mattress performs well when it comes to motion isolation. It also provides good contouring and pressure relief.
- For couples – Since it offers good motion isolation and is also a noiseless mattress, it is good for those that sleep with a partner.
- Sleepers seeking adjustable firmness options – A lot of people are not able to make up their mind with regards to the firmness of their mattress. Layla is a perfect choice for them since they can have a first-hand experience of using this mattress from both sides and choose one based on real experience.
- People who weigh less than 230 lbs – This mattress is well-suited for people who weigh less than 230 lbs.
- Budget Buyers – It comes with a reasonable price tag is a great buy for people looking for a good mattress on a budget.
Does Not Suit:
- People Seeking Bounce – It is not the right choice for people looking for a mattress that comes with a responsive and springy feel and this is mainly because it consists of multiple layers of memory foam.
- Side and stomach sleepers that weigh more than 230 lbs – These sleepers are likely to find that the support offered is somewhat less than what they need.
The Layla mattress comes with a 120-nights sleep trial and a lifetime warranty. It is a good buy for those looking for a decent flippable mattress at a reasonable price. If you want extra support from the mattress then you can easily add a mattress pad or topper to it.
- Multiple Foam Layers
- Offers Good Contouring
- Excelent Pressure Relief
- Suits Side Sleepers
This one is my favorite too. It is a great choice for side sleepers and can give you the sleeping experience of your life. It’s not for nothing that the company has the slogan – “Sleeping on a cloud!”
- Luxury Feel.
- Provides a great hug.
- Good at pressure relief.
- Provides excellent motion isolation.
- Good for side sleepers.
- Not for hot sleepers.
- Not for those seeking extra support.
This is a mattress that comes with multiple layers of foam and can give a good and nice hug to those who are great fans of contouring. Another area where it known to excel is pressure relief. It is also known to isolate motion quite effectively and is a great choice for couples.
When it comes to temperature control, Puffy comes with gel-infused memory foam in the comfort layers which makes it quite breathable and does a decent job at dissipating heat. However, if you are someone who sleeps really hot, then Puffy is not the right choice for you.
- Sleepers looking for good contouring – The Puffy is a great choice for people who want to sleep in the mattress rather than on the mattress. It provides a good hug!
- Side Sleepers who are lightweight – The Puffy is quite good at relieving pressure and is quite comfortable for side sleepers who weigh less than 130 lbs.
- Great for Couples – It does a good job at isolating motion and is a silent mattress. These features make it just apt for couples
Does Not Suit:
- Heavy Sleepers – People who weigh more than 230 lbs may need more support than what this mattress offers.
- Stomach Sleepers – They may find their midsection getting sunk too deep into the mattress. Stomach sleepers usually need more support than what Puffy provides.
- Hot Sleepers – Puffy is not suitable for really hot sleepers.
- Sexually Active Couples – Since this mattress does not have enough bounce also lacks in ease of movement, it is not the right choice for couples who are sexually active.
The Puffy is a good choice for those who want to sleep in the mattress. It comes with a 101 nights sleep trial and a lifetime warranty.
- 3 Layers of Foam
- Great for Recovery and Healing
- Excellent Lumbar Support
- Good Pressure Relief
The Bear mattress is a great choice for those seeking an extra supportive memory foam mattress. It is one mattress that can help back sleepers get enough support in the lumbar region so as to alleviate any kind of pressure or aches.
- Good at pressure relief.
- Helps control temperature well.
- Promotes recovery and healing.
- Provides good lumbar support.
- Good choice for side and back sleepers.
- Is too firm for lightweight sleepers.
- Heavy stomach sleepers may find it sagging in the midsection.
This is a mattress that performs quite well when it comes to aligning the spine from shoulders to hips.
However, the most important feature of this mattress is that it comes with a Celliant cover.
The Celliant cover:
- Promotes restful sleep– According to a study this mattress can reduce your awake time at night by as much as 18.3 minutes
- Regulates Temperature – This cover is great at regulating temperature throughout the night.
- Faster Recovery – It is supposed to be the best choice for athletes since it can help speed up recovery after intense training sessions.
But this is not all!
The Bear mattress comes with 3 layers of foam. The first or the comfort layer comprises of gel-infused memory foam that is 2 inches in thickness. This layer makes sure that you get a cool sleeping experience by dissipating body heat.
The next layer is made up of 2 inches thick polyfoam. This is the transition layer that spreads your weight all over the mattress and prevents any further sinking into the mattress.
The support core of this mattress comprises of 6 inches thick dense polyfoam to provide sturdy support.
- People seeking a firm mattress
- People that are physically active
- People looking for a memory foam mattress that helps sleep cool
Does Not Suit:
- Is too frim for light sleepers
- Not the right choice for sexually active couples
Even though this mattress does a decent job at isolating motion, some people may notice movement when their partner changes position or moves in and out of the bed.
This mattress is quite good and pressure relief and is suitable for a vast majority of sleepers. However, light sleepers who weigh less than 130 lbs may find it a bit too firm for comfort.
The Bear mattress is a perfect choice for those looking for a foam mattress that is firm too. It is also a great choice for people who have physically demanding jobs. It comes with a 100-nights sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
- Extra Lumbar Support
- Aligns Spine
- Good Pressure Relief
- PCM for Better Airflow
This is a mattress that boasts of satisfying most heavy sleepers and I think it does a pretty good job at it.
- Provides extra support to the lumbar area.
- Is suitable for heavyweight people.
- Helps sleep cool without sweating.
- A great option for people with back pain.
- Provides good edge support.
- Does not provide much of pressure relief.
- Is not the right choice for people who want to sleep in the mattress.
Heavyweight sleepers are often advised to avoid memory foam mattresses and this is because they can sink too deep into the mattress misaligning their spine with the rest of the body resulting in pains and aches. The Plank mattress from Brooklyn Bedding is an exception, however, since it provides ample firmness along with decent cushioning to ensure good pressure relief without causing the sleeper to sink into the mattress.
The Plank is a two-sided mattress and what makes things more interesting is that on one side it is firm with a firmness rating of 7 and on the other side it is even more firm with a rating of 8.5 to 9. So, if you are not happy from one side and you want your mattress to be even more firm then all you have to do is just flip it to the other side!
This mattress has a quilted top on either side and this top is made up of gel-infused memory foam to ensure a cool sleeping experience. On the frim side is it 1.5 inches thick and on the other side, it is .75 inches thick. The next layer comprises of 2 inches thick polyfoam that is called TitanFlex. It does not provide much hug to the mattress but is known to add bounce to it.
The support core comprises of 7 inches thick high-density polyfoam.
Even though this mattress does a decent job at controlling temperature, those that sleep really hot have the option of adding a cooling panel on top of the mattress that’s made up of Phase Change Material or PCM.
This mattress lacks in pressure relief and is not suited for side sleepers.
- Heavy Sleepers – Those who weigh more than 230 lbs find this mattress supportive from either side.
- Hot Sleepers – This is a memory foam mattress that provides enough cooling through gel-infused memory foam and an optional top that is made up of PCM.
- Sleepers who are sitting on the edge with regards to firmness – This is a perfect mattress for those who are not decisive as to how firm their mattress should be.
- Sleepers Seeking a Firm Mattress – It is a perfect choice for a mattress that is firm rather than hard.
- For Back Pain Relief – It is also a good mattress for those that suffer from back pain.
Does Not Suit:
- Light Weight Sleepers – Lightweight sleepers are going to find this mattress too firm for themselves.
- Those seeking more confirming – This mattress is not suitable for those that want a better “hug”
The Plank is a mattress made just for heavyweight people who want to mattress to be firm. It comes with a 120-nights sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
- Premium Memory Foam
- Excellent Pressure Relief and Support
- Suits Average Weight Sleepers
- Free White Glove Delivery
Saatva is a famous brand well-known for its premium and high-quality mattresses that not only offer amazing comfort but are also highly durable.
- Premium Foam Mattress at Not So Premium Price
- Excellent Pressure Relief
- Amazing Motion Isolation
- Good Body Contouring
- Good Back Support
- Good Breathability
- Free White Glove Delivery
- Hot sleepers may not like it
- Not suitable for heavy sleepers
Loom & Leaf by Saatva is a premium memory foam mattress that comes at a not-so premium price. Its affordability makes it one of the most appealing choices on the market.
When it comes to support and pressure relief, I don’t think any other brand can match up to Loom & Leaf by Saatva. It comes in in two firmness options and you get to choose in between:
- Relaxed Firm (which is actually Medium feel) and
Loom & Leaf is a model that is best suited for sleepers that weigh between 130 to 230 lbs. In other words, it is the perfect choice for average weight sleepers.
Let’s find out more about how this premium foam mattress has been constructed…
Quilted Organic Cotton Cover – On top of the mattress is the sift and highly breathable organic cover that is also protected with Guardin®, which is an exclusive botanical antimicrobial treatment done by the company. This cover comes with a gold damask trim that gives the mattress a rich look.
Gel Cooling Layer – Loom & Leaf comes with a Spinal Zone Gel layer of foam that not only helps you sleep cool but also adds to support. This is because there’s a high concentration of gel in the center third of the mattress which increases support to the spine. This is an exclusive feature and I don’t think any other mattress offers this kind of a zonal gel layer.
Premium Memory Foam – Below the spinal gel layer is an eco-friendly premium memory foam layer that not only ensures good contouring but also relieves pressure substantially. The foam used in this layer is CertiPUR-US® certified which means that it is free of all harmful chemicals.
Multilayer Support – Below the premium memory foam are high-density foam base and transition layers that provide well-balanced support.
- People Looking for a Good “Hug” – Loom & Leaf is a mattress that comes with 4 inches of responsive and premium memory foam. what it means is that it offers amazing body contouring and confirming. Its a mattress that is just apt for those that prefer to sleep in the mattress.
- Side and back sleepers – This is a mattress that comes in Medium and Firm feel and you can choose according to your liking. Ideally, it is best for side and back sleepers since it not only offers great pressure relief but also amazing back and lumbar support.
- Back pain sufferers – This mattress is offers zoned support to the back and is great for those who suffer from back pain.
- Couples – The Loom & Leaf is a great option for couples since it not only ensures perfect motion isolation but is also a silent mattress.
Does Not Suit:
- Hot Sleepers – Even though Loom & Leaf is a highly breathable mattress, it still is not the right choice for people who sleep really hot.
- Heavy Sleepers – Loom and Leaf is a perfect choice for average weight sleepers or those that weigh in between 130-230 pounds. It is not suited for heavy sleepers since they may sink deep into the mattress and this might result in misalignment of the spine.
Loom and Leaf is a mattress that is handcrafted in the US and offers great value for money. It comes with a 180-Nights risk-free trial and a 15-year warranty. If you are someone who prefers luxury feel and deep contouring, then I would recommend that you go for Loom & Leaf.
Who Should Buy a Memory Foam Mattress?
First and foremost, a memory foam mattress is the first choice of people who want a great hug or embrace from their mattress.
Secondly, people who suffer some kind of back problem or experience pain while sleeping and last, those that want to sleep in the mattress rather than on it, should opt for a memory foam mattress.
But wait, there’s more…
Couples who sleep together and want to limit motion so that they do not get disturbed while sleeping should also opt for a memory foam mattress since these mattresses perform really well when it comes to motions solation.
But what about the sleeping position?
One of the major factors influencing your choice of mattress is your sleeping position. Your body weight also comes into play and can play a decisive role in the type of mattress that you choose.
Typically, side sleepers who desire pressure relief so that they can sleep comfortably opt for foam mattresses. Back and stomach sleepers who weigh less than 230 lbs also find foam mattresses good enough.
One thing to keep in mind that a memory foam mattress is not suitable for people who sleep hot. Even though such a mattress can ensure a good hug, it can trap heat inside and make such people sweat a lot. Moreover, people who want to avoid getting sunk into the mattress and want to sleep on the mattress should also avoid a memory foam mattress.
Foam mattresses are also not supposed to be great for lovemaking since they do not allow easy movement on the surface of the mattress.
Desirable Features of the Best Memory Foam Mattresses in 2021 and Beyond
While buying a memory foam mattress there are certain things that you need to keep in your mind so that you make the correct choice and choose a brand that not only suits your needs but also fits your pocket.
Generally, memory foam mattresses perform well when it comes to pressure relief and motion isolation but they can trap heat and also lead to excessive sinkage. Now, various manufacturers try to tackle these problems through various design and construction changes but it remains to be seen how effective such changes prove.
User reviews are one of the of clearest indications of this and you must check them out before you fill your cart.
Here are some of the factors to watch out for before you make your buying decision:
Price – The bottom line is how much you can afford to spend. There are brands that come cheap for as low as $800 and there are mattresses that are expensive or luxury items and can cost well over $3000. How much you want to spend is entirely your prerogative.
However, most companies come with promotional offers including discounts and freebies every now and then and they can certainly help reduce your bill. You must keep a watch on these offers to get a great deal.
Sleeping Position – The mattress that you buy should be able to provide enough support according to your sleeping position. Side sleepers are generally happy with memory foam mattresses and the pressure relief that they provide. Back and stomach sleepers also find them great provided they are not overweight.
However, there are firmer options available that can suit the needs of back and stomach sleepers that weigh over 230 pounds.
Contouring – This is one feature that is supposed to be common in all memory foam mattresses. However, there are some mattresses that try to limit this with the help of various changes in the construction. The Plank is one such mattress that is particular designed for heavy folks and tries to limit contouring and sinking.
There are various options available and you should check them out if the contouring is according to your liking or not.
Quality of Materials – The quality of materials used in the construction not only affects your sleeping but also bears a deep influence on the durability of the mattress. If sub-standard materials are used, they will make the mattress sag earlier than you expect requiring a replacement. On the other hand, good quality materials will make your mattress last longer so that you don’t have to worry about replacing it for at least a decade or so.
Good brands that produce high-quality mattresses list all the construction materials on their websites clearly so that the consumers may know what they are getting when they place an order. Compare a few brands and their construction materials before you make your decision.
Firmness Level – This is another important factor that plays a decisive role in the choice of your mattress. How firm you want your mattress to be is ultimately your call. Whether you want a deep hug or you like to limit sinking to a certain extent only is entirely your choice. Mattresses come with various firmness options and some of them are flippable so that you can decide which one you want to use (on one side the mattress is somewhat soft and on the other side it is firmer).
Generally, side sleepers and lightweight people prefer softer mattresses. Heavyweight, back and stomach sleepers seek more support with less sinkage and thus, they prefer firmer mattresses.
Motion Isolation – Even though memory foam mattresses are supposed to be great in terms of motion isolation what you need to understand is that not all mattresses are created equal and there might be variations as to how much a particular brand can isolate movement. You need to check it out carefully before you decide to buy a particular brand.
Moreover, if you are someone who gets easily disturbed through movement while sleeping, you must opt for a mattress that provides more contouring and motion isolation.
Pressure Relief – Pressure relief is another plus point of memory foam mattresses. Such mattresses can help relieve pressure from greater impact areas such as hips and shoulders to ensure proper spine alignment. Having said that, if you have major pressure points then you should look for a mattress that comes with a thicker comfort system so as to prevent you from bottoming out.
Ease of Movement/ Sex – One of the major problems with memory foam mattresses is that they can make you feel stuck in the bed. What it also means is that movement on the bed can be restricted. Now, this is not an ideal situation for couples having sex and this is why if you are sexually active then should probably look for a mattress that comes with mild contouring.
Edge Support – This is supposed to be a problem area as far as memory foam mattresses are concerned and this is because foam tends to compress more around the edges. What it means is that sitting or sleeping near the edge can be difficult. So, if you are someone that is used to sitting or sleeping close to the edge, then you should probably look for a mattress that has better edge reinforcements.
Temperature Control – When memory foam hugs your body, it restricts airflow. Not just this, it also retains body heat and can make you feel really hot. This is one of the biggest problems associated with memory foam mattresses. Even though various brands try to tackle it with various means such as graphite and copper infusions, you need to have a proper look at these so that you are able to sleep cool.
Moreover, some of them come with Tencel and PCM covers on top of the mattress to ensure better breathability, which certainly helps.
Noise – This feature is a positive as far as memory foam mattresses are concerned since they are practically noiseless – no squeaky sounds as is the case with coil mattresses.
What You Are Likely to Experience on the Best Memory Foam Mattress?
So far, so good!
Now, you know what are the pros and cons of a memory foam mattress but what exactly is your first-hand experience of sleeping on a memory foam mattress is going to be like?
Let’s figure it out…
Floating on Clouds: It seems like a superlative but the fact is that a memory foam mattress is going to give a plush, cushioning feel that you are going to love.
A Big, Warm Hug: A “hug” is what a memory foam mattress is famous for. Such a mattress embraces your body to make you experience a hug but it also comes with the problem of trapping body-heat making you feel hot.
Totally Unmoved: Its going to feel like you have sunk into the bed and this can obviously, restrict movement.
Under No Pressure: Pressure relief that a memory foam mattress provides is remarkable and you can actually sleep without any pains and aches.
Sleep Undisturbed: You are completely unaffected by your partner’s movement in the bed and thus, you can sleep undisturbed.
Different Types of Memory Foam?
There are different kinds of memory foams on the market and they can vary depending upon their feel, lifespan, as well as performance. They tend to do so because of the difference in their compositions.
Lets’s have a brief look at different kinds of memory foam…
Traditional Memory Foam
Some of the main features associated with traditional or classic memory foam include deep contouring or body confirming, almost perfect motion isolation, minimal bounce, and of course, heat retention.
These are some of the unmistakable features of a traditional memory foam mattress that make it easily detectable.
Those who are huge fans of this kind of mattress prefer it because of its huge hug or embrace. On the other hand, people who are not so fond of this mattress complain about it being too hot and restrictive in terms of movement.
With new advances in the field, memory-foam mattresses have declined in popularity. However, hybrids still use them but only in the top or comfort layers to ensure better body confirming.
Plant-Based Memory Foam
Its important to note that traditional memory foam is made with the help of certain chemicals that are derived from petroleum. As far as a plant-based foam is concerned, the effort is to replace some of these petroleum-derived materials with the plant-based matter. This is why such foams are also known as “bio” foam.
Having said that, it is important to keep in mind that not all of such petroleum-derived materials can actually be impacted. Thus, so-called “bio” foams are only partially so.
Plant-based memory foam is appealing for eco-conscious customers, but it is important to note that the plant oils replace some but not all of the petrochemicals.
Such foams come at a higher price as compared to traditional memory foam.
Gel-Infused Memory Foam
More and more mattresses are now using gel-infused memory foams to help combat heat retention so that the sleepers can sleep cool or without sweating. Now, there are two ways in which gel is infused into the memory foam:
- it is added in a swirl pattern or
- enclosed in small beads that are evenly distributed throughout the foam
The main purpose of this is to dissipate heat rather than trap it inside as is the case with traditional memory foam.
Even though such foams are likely to be cooler, they are also likely to trap heat to some extent.
Copper-Infused Memory Foam
This is another kind of memory foam that has been getting increasingly popular recently. It uses copper beads to dissipate heat so that the sleeper does not feel hot while sleeping and it seems to work better than gel and Graphite infusion.
Yet another benefit of copper infusion is that it is supposed to have antibacterial properties and also helps alleviate odor from the mattress.
Even though a couple of brands promote copper-infused memory foam mattresses with claims that they can be beneficial for health and may also speed up healing, nothing is actually proven through research and a lot remains to be studied.
Memory Foam vs. Hybrid
Off late hybrids have become particularly popular since they can ensure better comfort and have a strong core of coils to provide better support. Usually, hybrids use memory foam in the comfort layer to ensure pressure relief and contouring to some extent.
Let’s compare memory foam with hybrid mattresses…
The support core of a memory foam mattress is usually made up of high-density polyfoam that is a couple of inches thick. As against this, hybrid mattresses have a support core comprising of innerspring or coil which not only allows better support but also facilitates better airflow. It goes without saying that innerspring support core also has more bounce in it. Moreover, innerspring comes with better edge support too.
Memory foam mattresses have better motion isolation. They also provide better pressure relief as compared to an innerspring/hybrid mattress.
Memory foam mattresses are poor performers as far as temperature control is concerned. Even though new and improved versions of memory foam come with gel, copper and graphite infusions to reduce body heat, hybrids win the game for being better in terms of breathability.
As far as lifespan is concerned, both memory foam and hybrids can have last for up to 10 years. One of the factors that can affect durability is how you use it and how you maintain it. If you have kids or pets around or if you are too heavy then your mattress is likely to experience more wear and tear reducing its lifespan.
Memory foam mattresses are likely to have a cheaper starting point as far as price is concerned but they can scale quite high as more and more features are added to them. A memory foam mattress can cost you anywhere between $800 to $2500.
Hybrids, on the other hand, are somewhat expensive. They can start at $1400 and go up to $3000 and even more.
Cost of a Memory Foam Mattress
Memory foam mattresses are likely to be cheaper as compared to hybrid mattresses. There are certain factors that could affect the price of a memory foam mattress and some of these could include the following:
- Foam Thickness – If a mattress has thicker memory foam or if it has multiple layers of foam, then it is likely to have a steeper price point.
- Foam Density – Mattress with denser foam costs more and this, they have a higher price tag attached to them but they are also likely to be more durable.
- Place of Manufacturing – If a mattress is made in the US, it is likely to be expensive as compared to those that are made in other countries like China and India.
- Extra Features – Most memory foam mattresses add certain features and add-ons to overcome the limitations and drawbacks of memory foam. For instance, they made include Tencel or Celiant cover to increase breathability or to dissipate heat, etc. These features and add-ons can increase the price of the mattress considerably.
While buying a memory foam mattress you are likely to spend anywhere from $700 to $2500.
How Long Will a Memory Foam Mattress Last?
Memory foam mattresses can last anywhere between 6 to 8 years. It is supposed to be more durable than hybrids or innerspring mattresses. It is only latex mattresses that are supposed to have a longer lifespan than memory foam mattresses.
Having said that, there are a couple of factors that can affect the life of your mattress and these could include:
- Quality of Materials – Your mattress is just about as good as the quality of materials used in its construction. If it is made up of high-quality materials, it is likely to last longer and if sub-standard materials have been used then it is likely to sag much earlier.
- Stress placed on the mattress – Now, this is where the weight of your body comes into play. If you are heavy you are likely tp put more stress on the mattress. If you have a partner and you share the bed then it is likely to experience more stress. Not just this, kids and pets that jump on the bed are also likely to put more stress on it and over time, it can result in sagging, reducing the life of your mattress.
- Maintenance – How you maintain your mattress also comes into play. If the bed frame is not right for the mattress then it is going to experience faster wear and tear. Similarly using a mattress topper or protector can help increase the life of your mattress.
Let’s find out about some of the other factors that you should check out before buying a memory foam mattress…
Whenever a mattress is created certain volatile compounds come into existence and they become trapped within the mattress when it is compressed and sealed into the box. As a result, during unboxing these compounds are released and this is what is referred to as off-gassing.
Even though these compounds are virtually harmless and they do not pose any kind of risk, a kind of unpleasant smell accompanies it. Now, this odor goes off on its own within a day or two. Most people do not actually mind it but if you are someone who is overly sensitive to smell then you should have someone else set up the mattress for you and you should use it only after the smell has faded away.
Usually, this smell gets faded quickly in a well-ventilated room. So, try to keep the windows open to get rid of this odor as quickly as possible.
Sleep Trial Period
One of the drawbacks of buying a mattress online is that you do not get to actually lie down on it to get a first-hand experience. In order to make up for this, most online companies offer generous sleep trials so that you have ample time to sleep in the mattress and make up your mind whether it suits you or not. There are companies that offer 100 nights sleep trials and there are some brands that go for an extended guarantee for as much as 365 nights.
I would recommend that you check out the sleep trial clause carefully so that you know how many days you have if you really want to return it and get a refund. Moreover, there are some companies that have a minimum break-in period of 30 or 40 days before you can claim a refund.
Whatever the conditions, you must check them out carefully before you place your order.
Adequate Bed Support
Most memory foam mattresses come with a warranty that could stretch anywhere from 10 years to a lifetime but a lot of companies have made it mandatory for you to have a proper bed frame in order to claim the warranty. This is because if the bed frame is not right, then it can affect the life and durability of the mattress. It can also lead to early sagging of the mattress so make sure that your bed frame is in accordance with the mattress warranty.
If it is not, then try to buy a new one. Trust me, this investment could go a long way in enhancing the life of your mattress.
To have a better and most comfortable sleeping experience it is important to have good bedding too. Breathable bedsheets and a light comforter can be a great help in making you sleep cool on a memory foam mattress. This is particularly true in the case of people that sleep hot. Not just this, it is also important to have a good pillow to ensure proper spinal alignment.
As you can see, there are plenty of choices when looking for the best memory foam mattress in 2021. I am sure you should be able to find one that best suits your needs and budget in the list above.
I have tried to list some of the best brands that offer great value for money and have been getting awesome user reviews too.
So, take your pick and sleep tight!