Last Updated on February 16, 2021
If you are looking for the best hybrid mattresses 2021, I can safely presume that you want a mattress that offers great comfort, is breathable, ensures good pressure relief, and is also durable so that it can last a couple of years.
You can find the most popular brands here that have been getting incredible user reviews and can help you sleep comfortably each night. Hybrid mattresses are highly popular these days since they combine various kinds of construction materials and take care of all your sleeping needs.
Such mattresses ensure that you get what you desire whether it is body contouring you want or back support or temperature regulation. Not just this, there are a couple of choices even for those who want a mattress that is made with all organic materials and is free of all kinds of synthetic stuff.
So, take a look at the best hybrid mattresses here and take your pick!
List of Best Hybrid Mattresses 2021
These are the best hybrid mattresses in 2021 because there’s no one hybrid mattress that suits all. Different people have different needs and you can choose one according to your specific needs by checking out the table below:
- Editor’s Pick: PUFFY ROYAL HYBRID
- Best Flippable: IDLE SLEEP HYBRID MATTRESS
- Best Pressure Relief: LAYLA
- Best for Combo Sleepers: WINKBEDS ECOCLOUD
- Best Value: DREAMCLOUD
- Best Luxury: SAATVA LATEX
- Best for Side Sleepers: HELIX LUXE
- Best for Athlete: BEAR HYBRID
- Best Hybrid for Couples: BROOKLYN SEDONA
- Best Latex Hybrid: BIRCH
Best Hybrid Mattresses 2021 Reviews & Ratings
Even though hybrid mattresses are the in thing these days since they can provide the ultimate in comfort and support, not all brands are equally created. There are a lot of differences between the features and quality of materials used.
Rather than beating around the bush, let’s check out some of the highest-rated hybrid mattresses that you can choose from:
- Ultimate in Comfort
- Multi Direction 5 Layer System
- Amazing Back Support
- Highly Breathable
- 101-Nights Sleep Trial
Why this mattress from Puffy is called the Royal Mattress is because it offers the ultimate in comfort. I don’t think any other brand on the market can actually compete with it.
- 14-inch thick hybrid that combines luxurious memory foam with coil.
- Comes with a 1.5-inch cooling layer.
- Comes with a unique SMT technology for advanced spine support.
- Is suitable for all kinds of sleepers.
- Comes with cloud technology to help you sleep ar optimum temperature throughout the year.
- Comes with a 101 nights sleep trial.
- The only flip side is that it can be somewhat expensive but all good things cost money.
Here are some of the main features of this mattress:
- Puffy Royal Hybrid is made with luxurious memory foam and coil beneath it. It not only softens to adapt to your body curves but also provides amazing support so that you do not sink deep into the mattress.
- It’s a 14-inch thick mattress and the top 1.5 inches are formed of a cooling layer which consists of cooling beads that reduce heat retention so that you can sleep cool and comfortable. This is a feature that makes it a perfect choice for most hot sleepers.
- It comes with a layer of contouring foams that is great at providing pressure relief. This mattress ensures amazing body contouring and relieves pressure from some of the main pressure points in your body so that you can sleep peacefully and wake up rejuvenated in the morning without any pains and aches.
- The third layer of the Puffy Royal Hybrid particularly takes care of airflow and breathability to help you sleep cool.
- One of the most advanced features of this mattress is that it comes with a multi-directional 5 layer system that provides exceptional spine support. The mattress is actually divided into 5 cloud zones and each of them provides a different level of support. Your back gets more support, while other body parts such as head, neck, shoulders, and feet get a softer feel.
- It comes with a unique SMT cloud design on the fourth layer which is great for temperature regulation. It not only minimizes heat absorption but also ensures that you sleep at an optimum temperature throughout the year.
- One of the most important features of this mattress is that it can suit all kinds of sleepers. Whether you sleep on your side, back, stomach it can adapt accordingly and help you sleep tight without tossing and turning through the night. This is unlike most of the other mattresses that are best suited for either one or two kinds of sleepers.
- Best Flippable Mattress
- Medium & Firm Options
- Regulates Temperature Well
- Good Motion Isolation
- 120-Nights Sleep Trial
Idle Sleep is a company that is now synonymous with high-quality and ultimate user comfort when it comes to mattresses. It ha been around for more than 20 years and over these 2 decades, it has built a solid reputation for its products.
- A Flippable mattress that can be used from both sides.
- Comes with 3 different versions to suit your needs.
- The Medium version is great for side sleepers.
- The Firm version offers excellent back support for back sleepers.
- Suits the needs of all kinds of sleepers.
- Helps you sleep cool since it regulates temperature well.
- Comes with good motion isolation and edge support.
- Is great for couples who are sexually active.
- Even though it regulates temperature well, it is not particularly suited for people who sleep really hot.
Idle Sleep Hybrid is a flippable mattress adding considerably to its durability.
But that is just of its many advantages!
Idle Sleep Hybrid comes in 3 versions – Medium, Luxury Firm, and a flippable that is Medium on one side and Luxury Firm on the other. This third version is a great choice for people who are not decisive and would like to try what suits them best.
Read More: Best Firm Mattresses 2021
Let’s have a closer look at some of the main features of this mattress:
- Idle Sleep Hybrid is a 14-inch thick mattress that can be used from both the sides
- It combines multiple layers of foam with innerspring or coil for maximum support
- It regulates temperature quite effectively and can help you sleep without sweating
- It offers great back support
- It is good in terms of motion isolation as well
- It provides good bounce as well.
- Flippable Mattress
- Soft and Firm Options
- Offers Great Pressure Relief
- Regulates Temperature Well
- 120-Nights Sleep Trial
For those that suffer from back pain, Layla Hybrid is a great option. This is because it combines the gentleness of memory foam with coil or innerspring so as to ensure good contouring as well a pressure relief and support.
- The flippable nature of this mattress makes it a great choice.
- The soft side is best suited for side sleepers.
- The firm side is suitable for back and combo sleepers.
- It manages motion isolation pretty well which makes it a good choice for couples.
- Helps sleep cool and without sweating.
- Stomach sleepers may find it a bit soft, whichever side they sleep on.
- People who do not like memory foam may be a bit disappointed.
The soft side is actually a great option for side sleepers since it comes with 3-inch thick memory foam with a 2 inch thick convoluted Air Flow Foam beneath it.
It’s important to note that this foam is actually zoned in the middle and it provides perfect spine alignment.
Yet another important feature of Layla Hybrid is that its memory foam is copper-infused. It’s worth a mention here that Copper is an even better option as compared to Graphite when it comes to temperature control.
Layla Hybrid, with its copper-infused memory gel, is far better equipped to help you sleep cool as most of the other brands on the market.
- Made with Organic Materials
- Uses Talalay Latex and Coil
- Excellent Bounce
- Best Choice for Combo Sleepers
- 120-Nights Sleep Trial
Winkbeds is a name that is synonymous with high-quality mattresses. In fact, it is one of the most popular brands when it comes to the best hybrid mattresses of 2021, and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be.
- Uses all organic materials and is highly breathable.
- Comes with a great bounce.
- Good choice for combo sleepers.
- Comes with a 120 Nights Sleep Trial.
- Since this mattress is super bouncy, it is supposed to rate low on motion transfer. What it means is that if your partner moves you are going to be disturbed.
- Those looking for pressure relief are also going to be somewhat disappointed.
Winkbeds Ecocloud, as the name suggests, is an eco-friendly mattress that uses natural Talalay latex in place of memory or polyfoam. The other layer of this mattress is constructed with pocketed coils. This mix of latex and coil creates medium-firm support.
It’s important to note that both Talalay latex and coil have a bounce in them and therefore, the net result is that you have a mattress that has a great bounce in it.
What it also implies is that the end product that you have has great mobility and you can easily move in and out of the bed without ever feeling being stuck in it. Greater mobility also means that it is an excellent choice for combination sleepers who keep changing their positions throughout the night.
Some of the main features of this mattress can be summarized as follows:
- Natural or eco-friendly mattress
- More durable than most of the other mattress because of latex being used in its construction
- Is more breathable because of latex and coil being used in it
- Comes Comfy Pillow Top
- Support core of Pocketed Coils
- Medium Firmness
- Great for Couples
- 365-Nights Sleep Trial
DreamCloud is a great option for couples too and this is mainly because it provides good edge support. In addition to this, the foams used in its construction pretty well manage motion isolation so that you are not disturbed in your sleep when your partner moves around or changes position.
- It can be a great choice for back sleepers since it provides firm support and is also great in terms of pressure relief.
- It’s great for couples too since it offers good edge support and also isolates motion quite well.
- It’s good in terms of breathability and can help you sleep cool.
- It’s not the right choice for side sleepers and they find it too firm for themselves.
- This mattress is also not the perfect choice for heavy sleepers who might sink deep through the foam layers and come in contact with the coil beneath it.
Price is one of the most important factors to consider when looking for a mattress. If you have been looking for a mattress online, you would agree with me when I say that the choice is vast and a good mattress can really burn a hole in your pocket.
The aim of this best hybrid mattresses review of 2021 is to help you choose a hybrid mattress that not only conforms to needs and specifications but is easy on your pocket too.
Dreamcloud offers great value for money. This is a hybrid that uses quality materials and is still priced quite reasonably.
A Hybrid mattress, as mentioned above, uses two or more materials in its construction and Dreamcloud combines a comfy pillow-top which is made from gel memory and poly foams. Beneath this pillow-top is a layer of pocketed coils.
This combination of foams and coil gives Dreamcloud its Medium firmness and it allows body contouring without the sleeper getting sunk too deep into the mattress. This makes it a great choice for combo sleepers who want to sleep comfortably in various positions.
- Comes with 2 Innerspring Units
- Provides Excellent Support
- Luxurious Feel
- Highly Durable
- 180-Nights Sleep Trial
Saatva is well-known for its luxury mattresses and its latex hybrid is a perfect mattress for those looking for a luxurious mattress that comes with an inexpensive price tag.
- This mattress comes with two innerspring units for excellent support.
- The look and feel is luxurious.
- It’s highly durable.
- Is a perfect choice for heavy sleepers.
- It comes with an HD model design that is specifically for folks that weight more than 300 lbs.
- Comes with free white glove delivery.
- This mattress does not come in a box. However, it comes with free white glove delivery so that you can leave the heavy lifting and all the installation work for the professionals.
While there is no dearth of luxury mattresses, most of them come with a high price tag.
This is where Satvaa beats its competition by offering a great mattress at a price that you can afford.
This hybrid combines the contouring and pressure relief of memory foam with the support of a coil layer beneath it. It is highly durable and on top of all these layers is a soft, organic cotton cover that ensures better breathability.
Unlike most of the other hybrids on the market, Saatva has not one but two innerspring units that are both connected and have individually wrapped coils to ensure amazing support while giving you a classic feel of a coil mattress.
Each and every mattress at Saatva is handcrafted to perfection in the US and it comes with a 180 Nights sleep trial along with a 15-year warranty. Not just this, it’s a brand that offers white glove delivery so that you have nothing to worry about. These guys take care of everything and you get a bed that’s ready to be slept upon. And all this luxury comes at a budget-friendly price!
- Highly Breathable
- Offers Zoned Support & Spine Alignment
- Good Pressure Relief
- Great for Side Sleepers
- 100-Nights Sleep Trial
Helix is another brand that’s synonymous for high-quality mattresses. It has a wide range of mattresses, toppers, etc. to cater to a wide range of customers according to their custom needs and requirements.
- A luxury mattress that is highly breathable.
- Comes with a gel-infused foam layer for temperature control.
- Offers zoned support and spine alignment.
- Great for people who want pressure relief without much sinkage.
- Is great for side sleepers.
- Not the best choice for people who weight more than 230 lbs since they may sink deeper into the mattress.
- Stomach sleepers may find that their midsection sinks deeper into the mattress resulting in misalignment.
- Motion isolation could be improved upon.
Read More: Best Mattress Topper 2021
Even though Helix has a vast product line, Helix Midnight Luxe is one of the most popular products because of its design and the firm feel. It is an award-winning model that has gained a lot of recognition and is rated highly for its features and comfort.
What constitutes a Helix Midnight Luxe?
On top of this mattress is a Tencel cover which is not just soft and smooth to give a luxurious feel but is also highly effective at dissipating heat. It is highly breathable and ensures good ventilation. The top layer consists of gel-infused foam to help you sleep cool. This is great for most people who sleep hot and want a solution to prevent them from sweating while sleeping.
This mattress comes with two layers of foam, one above the other, just below the top cover of the mattress. The first layer is made of Memory Plus foam which is high in density and offers a Medium feel. This layer is highly effective at relieving pressure. Below this layer, comes another layer of transition polyfoam. This layer is firmer and it allows the seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress while preventing you from sinking too deep into the mattress.
The support core of this mattress consists of two layers:
- The top layer consists of pocketed innerspring coils. This layer not only provides good support but also ensures responsiveness. It also ensures less motion transfer as compared to most of the other coil mattresses. It provides zoned support. What it means is that it is softer under your head and neck and firmer under your hips. It aligns the spine well and provides good lumbar support and edge support.
- Below this layer is a layer of high-density polyfoam to provide base support and to add durability to the mattress as a whole.
Helix Midnight Luxe has a Medium Firm (6) Feel and it is best suited for side sleepers that weight over 130 pounds but less than 230 pounds.
- Unique Celliant Fabric Cover
- Helps in Quick Recovery
- Good Pressure Relief
- Good Bounce & Edge Support
- 100-Nights Sleep Trial
When it comes to athletes they need more than a regular mattress to help them recover after hard play or intense training. Bear Hybrid is one mattress that helps athletes recover quickly, thanks to its cover which is made of a material called Celliant.
- Ideal choice for sleepers who want pressure relief without experience a hug.
- Comes with a gel-infused foam layer to help hot sleepers sleep cool.
- Great for those looking for a bouncy mattress.
- Provides good lumbar support and edge support.
- Somewhat lacks in minimizing motion transfer
- Not the best choice for people who want to sleep in the mattress rather than on the mattress
- Stomach sleepers weighing more than 230 pounds may find their bellies getting sunk deeper into the mattress resulting in misalignment.
Celliant is a special fabric that is known to absorb body heat and reflect it back as infrared energy.
Even though more studies are needed, early evidence suggests that infrared energy helps muscles and other tissues in the body recover faster.
This is why Bear Hybrid is the best choice for athletes as well as for people looking for a mattress that can help them relieve back and hip pain.
Beneath the Celliant cover is a layer that constitutes Hyper Cooling-Gel Foam so that you sleep cool and do not experience sweating at night.
Underneath this cooling gel-infused layer are two layers of foam.
- The first layer of polyfoam provides mild confirming and also prevents deep sinkage into the mattress.
- The second layer is firmer and adds to support while offering pressure relief.
The next layer is made up of an innerspring coil which not only ensures good airflow but also provides an amazing edge to edge support.
Last, but not the least, at the mase of the mattress is a layer of polyfoam that adds to the sturdiness and durability of the mattress. It is also quite effective at minimizing the noise of the coil.
The Bear Hybrid has a Medium Firm feel and it is a great choice for most side sleepers as well as back sleepers.
- 15-inch Tall Mattress
- Isolates Motion Well
- Gel-Infused Foam (Temp. Regulation)
- Excellent for Couples
- 120-Nights Sleep Trial
When it comes to a mattress for couples the most important feature to consider is motion isolation. Your partner can disturb your sleep when he/she moves or changes position while sleeping if your mattress is not able to isolate motion or movement.
- Handcrafted in the US.
- Isolates motion extremely well.
- Comes with a gel-infused foam layer to ensure cooling effects.
- Offers great pressure relief and spinal support.
- Is a great choice for couples.
- Helps you wake up without pains and aches.
- Not for people who prefer a greater sink.
- Comes with a higher price tag but then all good things cost money.
This is a common problem that a lot of couples face and Brooklyn Sedona is one mattress that works exceptionally well in isolating motion. Thus, it is one of the best hybrids for couples in 2021!
At 15 inches tall, this is a fairly high mattress and it has been getting amazing user reviews, mainly from couples who sleep with a partner.
Let’s have a look at the construction of this hybrid from Brooklyn Bedding, a company that is now synonymous with high-quality mattresses and has been around for more than two decades…
- To begin with, Brooklyn Sedona comes with a cover that is made up of an advanced cooling fabric so as to deliver cooling benefits to sleepers.
- The top layer constitutes a 1″ patented. comfort foam that not only ensures amazing contouring but also gives the mattress its outstanding responsiveness.
- The next layer is made up of 2 inches thick gel-infused memory foam to help you sleep cool and without any sweating. It also enhances support.
- Beneath the above layer is a 1″ layer of hyperdense and slow-response memory foam which comes infused with a cooling gel. This layer is great for offering the deepest level of compression support.
- The next layer is made up of 1″ high-density foam beneath which is the coil system of this mattress.
- The support core of this mattress is made up of an 8” thick base of up to 1032 individually encased coils. This layer not only relieves pressure but also great for reducing motion transfer.
- The last layer of this mattress is made up of a 1″ thick high-density foam that adds to the durability of the mattress.
- Eco-Friendly Mattress
- Made with Talalay Latex
- Good Spine Support
- Isolates Motion Well
- 100-Nights Sleep Trial
Birch Hybrid is a great choice for people looking for a natural or latex hybrid mattress. What makes it stand apart is that it is made up of all organic construction materials. It’s highly breathable and helps you sleep cool. In addition to this, this a mattress that can help relieve pressure and help you sleep without pain.
- Eco-friendly mattress that is made up of all-natural materials.
- Highly breathable.
- Regulates temperature well.
- Offers good spine support.
- Isolates motion well.
- Not the ideal choice for the lightweight sleeper who might find it somewhat firm
- Some people may find it a bit overpriced but then it uses all-natural materials in the construction that are likely to be expensive as well as more durable.
Let’s have a look at the construction of this mattress…
- On top of this mattress is a cover that is made with GOTS certified organic cotton. It is highly breathable, soft to touch, and gives a plush feel.
- In addition to the cover, there is a fire retardant layer made up of natural wool fibers. This layer is absolutely free of plastics and offers better protection as compared to other mattresses on the market.
- Below this, is a layer of organic Birch wool that is not just great for regulating temperature but is also great for adding comfort.
- The next layer is made up of Talalay Latex which is highly effective for relieving pressure and providing support.
- Beneath the Talalay Latex is a layer that is made up of hundreds of individual steel coils which not only helps to cradle the body of the sleeper but also is also great for adding support. In addition to this, it also limits motion transfer. This makes it a great choice for people who sleep with a partner. Reinforced perimeter coils are highly effective at increasing edge support.
What are Hybrid Mattresses – Hybrid Defined!
First and foremost, let’s begin with a definition of a Hybrid mattress.
As the name suggests, a hybrid mattress is a combination of innerspring or coil with foam/memory foam/latex foam on top of it. The main aim of creating a hybrid was to close the gap between a coil and a foam mattress. A full size hybrid mattress is a perfect combination of two or more mattress construction materials to provide sleepers with a better experience while providing the benefits of such materials and limiting or overcoming the shortcomings of each.
For instance, the hybrid that you choose to sleep upon might combine latex and innerspring or memory foam or innerspring, etc. to compound the benefits of both so that you not only get the required hug and stay cool but also provide enough support and bounce. It’s hardly surprising that Hybrids are a massive hit with customers these days and there is a whole range of such mattresses that you can choose from.
Not just this, the price also varies considerably from some of the mattresses being pocket-friendly to luxurious ones that come with a high price tag but provide the ultimate in sleeping comfort.
When to Buy a Hybrid?
Choosing the right mattress can sometimes be a tricky subject for most people. So, here’s a little guideline on when you should choose a hybrid:
- If you need bounce of coil-based mattress. Even though coil mattresses have a good bounce they make a lot of noise and also have other negatives that can be taken care of in a hybrid.
- If you are a side sleeper, a hybrid can be a perfect choice for you. Check out the main features carefully and select a model or brand that provides good pressure relief.
- If you tip the scales on 230 pounds or weigh more then you should opt for a hybrid that provides sturdy support.
- If you have to choose from multiple brands and products, opt for a hybrid.
When to Skip a Hybrid?
Here’s when to avoid hybrid beds:
- If you need good contouring then you should probably avoid a hybrid.
- If you want absolute motion isolation, then a hybrid is not cut out for you. In other words, if you get disturbed by the slightest of movement, then you better avoid a hybrid. Even though some of them are known to isolate movement pretty well, a hybrid is not the right choice for people who need the utmost in motion isolation.
- If you need a mattress that is light and easy to move, then it’s best to skip a hybrid.
- If you are shopping on a budget you should probably skip a hybrid. Having said, almost all brands come with up interesting offers every now and then that you could avail of.
Who Should Buy a Hybrid?
Hybrid mattresses seem to be the most popular choice these days and this is because a lot of people prefer them for a number of reasons and factors.
First of all, a hybrid mattress is a great choice for people who are looking for a bounce in their mattresses. As far as this concerned, bounce makes a hybrid the perfect choice for couples and combination sleepers.
Secondly, people who weight more than 230 pounds also look for a mattress that can support the body without too much of a sink. A hybrid that uses foam, latex, or coil can do the job perfectly. It is a perfect choice for such people offering them a limited hug and a good amount of back support.
Thirdly, coil support is great for ensuring better ventilation and minimum heat retention, making a hybrid a perfect choice for people who sleep hot and want a mattress that can help regulate temperature so that they can sleep without the slightest sweating.
Having said that, it is important to note that hybrid appeal to most people since they combine features of multiple construction materials, and thus, they are able to cater to the needs of a large customer base.
Desirable Features of Best Hybrid Mattresses 2021
Looking for the best hybrid mattress in 2021?
Then here are some essential features that you should look for in the mattress:Sleeping Position
Let me begin with the sleeping position.
Your sleeping position is one of the most important factors that you need to take into consideration while buying a mattress. One of the best plus points of a hybrid is that it is can support your back and ensure perfect spine alignment with respect to your sleeping position.
While side sleepers need more cushioning, back and stomach sleepers need firmer support. Now, hybrid come in various firmness levels and there are some that are flippable with one side being soft while the other being firmer. So, you have enough choice to choose from according to your sleeping position.
Those that are not sure of which firmness level to choose can opt for a flippable mattress offering different levels of firmness on both sides.Comfort System Material
Even though there can be a lot of similarities in the performance of hybrids and their construction, you need to check the comfort system carefully before you buy one. The level of comfort that a hybrid offers depends on a large degree on the kind and quality of materials used. For instance, a particular brand may use proprietary foam that is likely to offer better contouring or support as compared to memory foam.
Not just this, a particular hybrid might be using latex while the other might be using Talalay latex and this could vary their performance and comfort. Similarly, the cold structure can also vary the performance and comfort provided by a hybrid mattress.Contouring
What does contouring mean?
Contouring refers to how the mattress reacts to your body on impact. Some of the other terms used to describe the same feel include conforming, cradling, hug, etc.
With more contouring or a greater hug, a mattress can reduce the impact at pressure points. In other words, it can relieve pressure. Deep contouring is a classic feature of memory foam and is a great choice for side sleepers.
However, it may not be the best choice for others since it can result in heat build-up and make hot sleepers sweat a lot.
Quality of Materials Used
The durability and lifespan of a mattress depend upon the quality of materials used in the construction. Mattresses are supposed to last for years. Soma companies may try to cut costs by using substandard materials in the construction that can reduce the lifespan of your mattress. You should check out the material used carefully so that you know for sure that your hybrid mattress is going to have a long life.
One of the most important features of a hybrid mattress to look at is its firmness level. No other factor affects your sleep as much as the firmness of the mattress. Most people are usually happy with a Medium or Medium-firm mattress. However, some people need a softer or firmer mattress depending upon their specific needs.
The good thing, however, is that hybrid mattresses come in different levels of firmness that you can choose from.
There are certain pressure points in your body that need somewhat extra support. These could include shoulders and hips, particularly in the case of side sleepers. In the case of back and stomach sleepers, more support is needed for the spine or lower back. The hybrid mattress that you should offer good pressure relief without excessive sinkage into the mattress. You need to check this in particular before you buy a hybrid.
This is yet another feature to consider before you select a hybrid for yourself, particularly if you sleep with a partner. When your partner moves or changes position, you should not be disturbed in your sleep and for this to happen your mattress should allow good motion isolation.
Most hybrids can transfer motion since they have a good bounce but putting on some materials like memory foam etc. can help limit motion transfer. Thus, you need to check how a particular hybrid is trying to limit motion transfer.
Ease of Movement/Sex
Hybrids usually allow good movement on top of the bed because of a coil baseline. Good bounce and ease of movement are some features that are appealing to couples who are sexually active. Certain materials such as Latex can make your hybrid more responsive and thus, a better choice for people looking for better movement or more responsiveness when buying a mattress.
Edge support is another preferred feature of people who either sleep near the edge or sit on the edge. Most hybrids have better structural integrity towards the edges as compared to other mattresses. Many hybrids come with reinforced edges which is certainly a strong plus in their favor.
Temperature regulation is important so that you can sleep peacefully without experiencing sweating or feeling hot in the middle of the night. Hybrids, usually perform well since they allow better ventilation and come with good breathability.
Having said that, if you sleep really hot, then you must check out hybrids that use gels, copper, or graphite to keep you cool at night.
After a hard day of work, what you need is a noiseless mattress to sleep on. I am sure you don’t want any squeaky noises coming out of your bed as you change positions. Not just this, you also want your mattress to be noiseless to make sex discreet. Now, coils can be noisy but most hybrids take care of this by using high-quality coils that make less noise and by surrounding them with foams that are likely to absorb excess noise.
Last, but not the least, price is an important factor when buying a mattress. You can compare the prices of various hybrids online before buying one. Not just this, various companies come with discount offers every now and then, that you can use to buy one that fits your budget.
Sleeping Experience on a Hybrid Mattress
So, how do you feel like while sleeping on a hybrid mattress?
How you feel while sleeping on a hybrid largely depends upon how the internal layers of the mattresses have been constructed.
While there’s no hard and fast rule as to how sleeping on a hybrid should feel, there are some common characteristics that can help you understand how sleeping in a hybrid may feel like.
- All in Balance: One of the most important things to keep in mind is that a hybrid is an amalgamation of various construction materials and as a result, it is likely to offer a balance when it comes to features such as motion isolation, bounce, contouring, edge support, etc.
- Never Get Stuck – Most hybrids come with a good bounce and as a result, you hardly ever experience the feeling of being stuck in the bed. In simple words, there’s an ease of movement when you sleep on a hybrid. Getting in and out of the bed is as simple as a breeze!
- Out on the Edge – If you are someone who sleeps or sites along the edge of the bed, you will find that a hybrid offers good support.
- Going Steady – Most sleepers find the support and comfort provided by a hybrid really comforting.
How is a Hybrid Mattress Constructed?
If you want to find why a hybrid mattress is highly preferred by most sleepers, you need to find out more about how it is constructed.
Here are some more details…
A true hybrid consists of two most important elements:
- The support core is almost always made up of an innerspring coil system.
- Above the coil, there’s a comfort system that might include layers of foam, etc.
It is important to note and understand that a true hybrid essentially has a core that is made up of springs or coils. Even though there are some hybrids that are being promoted as “springless hybrids” they are not true hybrids even though they might be good in quality and comfort.
All hybrid mattresses have two common elements as explained above, The only difference is that there might be a considerable variation in terms of how each layer is constructed by various brands. This variation is likely to make teach brand to have its own unique features, price, feel, and performance.
Let’s delve a bit deeper into the kind of materials that can be used in the coil system as well the comfort system of a hybrid…
Even though all hybrids have a strong core built on innerspring or coils, there may be a lot o variation in the kind of coils used.
If you have ever searched for a hybrid, you must have come across the term “pocketed coils” used on a lot of sites.
So, what exactly is meant by pocketed coils?
Pocketed coil refers to a system in which each coil is covered in a cloth and then stitched together. It is also known as the individually-wrapped or fabric-encased coil.
One of the most important benefits of such a coil system is that it is able to isolate motion on the bed. Moreover, they also ensure better conforming. For these two reasons, pocketed coils are a common feature in most hybrids.
This is another type of coil system used in hybrids. This is like an hourglass-shaped spring system in which each coil is directly connected to the internal lattice structure which is responsible for holding all of them together.
One of the disadvantages of this system is that the flexibility is compromised upon. Even though such kind of a system is likely to be cheaper, it is likely to transfer motion more readily and offer less support as compared to the pocketed coils.
Continuous Wire Coils
In this kind of a coil system, all the springs are fashioned out of a single piece of wire. What it means is the continuous wire coils have less flexibility. This kind of system is more like the Bonnell coils and performs along the same lines. It tends to transfer motion more readily and offers less support as compared to the pocketed coil system.
Under this kind of a coil system, the individual springs are connected by a small piece of metal. This kind of increases the flexibility as compared to the Bonnell coils. However, it still can’t match the benefits of the pocketed coil system when it comes to motion isolation and support.
In addition to an innerspring coil system, most hybrids also consist of one or more foam layers in order to improve the sleeping experience. Let’s find out what kind of foams could be used in various hybrids…
Perhaps the most well-known and common kind of foam used in hybrids is Memory Foam.
It is famous for its deep conforming or the hug feel. Another main feature of this kind of foam is its slow response to pressure.
What it means is that memory foam is likely to give you a hug feel as well as relieve pressure. Yet another feature of memory foam is that it excels when it comes to limiting motion transfer. This is what makes it a great choice for people who sleep with a partner as well as for light sleepers.
Even though there are a couple of factors to take into account, memory foam is best suited for side and back sleepers. Stomach sleepers are better off choosing a hybrid model that has firmer memory foam so that they do not sink deep into the mattress.
So far so good, what about the limitations?
The biggest limitation of memory foam is that it can trap a lot of body heat resulting in high temperatures that can make you sweat. Modern hybrids take care of this problem with gel-infused foam layers that can help you sleep cool.
Another problem associated with memory foam is that it can make you feel stuck while limiting ease of movement.
Polyfoam also ensures great contouring like the memory foam but it is more responsive to pressure. Thus, it is likely to offer less pressure relief. However, it rates better when it comes to ease of movement and temperature control. Even though polyfoam is likely to isolate motion well, its not able to perform as well as memory foam in this department.
Polyfoam is also a good choice for side and back sleepers. Stomach sleepers need firm models of polyfoam. A polyfoam hybrid is likely to be the most cost-effective hybrid on the market.
They are actually a good budget-option for most sleepers.
The most durable of all kinds of hybrids is the latex hybrid. Latex is known as the most luxurious mattress on the market. A latex mattress provides moderate contouring to the sleeper’s body. It also relieves pressure but not to the extent memory foam does.
The most unique feature of latex is that it is more responsive. It has a better bounce to it, which allows better movement on the mattress. In simple words, you can move around and change positions easily on a latex mattress. This makes such mattresses a great choice for couples who are sexually active.
In addition to this, a latex mattress is also likely to ensure better temperature regulation. Latex mattresses are the coolest mattress on the scene.
Moreover, latex is likely to be highly durable as well. even though a latex mattress is likely to be more expensive, it comes with a longer lifespan.
Latex mattresses come in various firmness levels and thus thy can suit a wide range of sleepers irrespective of their sleeping position and body weight.
The only flip side of a latex mattress is that it can make you shell out a few hundred extra dollars. Moreover, if you suffer from back pain or chronic pain, then memory foam is a better option for you.
Comparing Hybrids with Other Mattresses
Let’s get a bit deeper into what all you get when you choose a hybrid over a single material mattress in comparison.
Combined Benefits of Various Materials
Hybrid Vs Innerspring
Every construction material comes with its pros and flaws. Before we compare a hybrid with an innerspring mattress, let’s find out the strengths and weaknesses of an innerspring mattress:
- The main aim of a coil mattress is to keep the sleeper on top of the mattress avoiding any kind of a sink.
- A coil mattress is also great for providing support and its easy to move in and out of the bed.
- One of the most common problems with a coil mattress is that it can be quite noisy. Many sleepers would like to avoid its squeaking sounds that can be quite a sleep-disturbance.
- Another problem with such mattresses is that they allow easy motion transfer. What it means is that if your partner or pet moves around, it can easily disturb you in your sleep.
Comparing Hybrid with Innerspring
As mentioned above the some of the negatives of a coil mattress include squeaking sounds, extra bounce, and of course, motion transfer.
A hybrid tends to get over these issues by adding an extra layer of memory foam on top of the coil so that the bounce gets reduced, noise can be almost entirely eliminated, and motion transfer can also be reduced. All this, while adding good back support and high breathability, makes a good Hybrid and easy pick that most sleepers prefer to choose and buy.
Hybrid vs Foam Mattress
Let’s have a look at some of the pros and cons of a foam mattress before we begin comparing such mattress with a hybrid:
- As far as foam mattress is concerned the main idea it to allow deeper sinkage into the mattress, better body-contouring, deeper compression, and of course, good pressure relief.
- These mattresses are silent and do not make any squeaky sounds as the could mattresses do.
- One of the biggest challenges on a foam mattress is an easy in-and-out movement.
- Secondly, some people get the feeling of being stuck or even sleeping warm on a foam mattress since it is supposed to be less breathable. Typically, a foam mattress is not the first choice of people who sleep hot.
Comparing Hybrid with a Foam Mattress
Two of the main problems associated with a foam mattress is that it does not regulate temperature and secondly, there’s less ease of movement.
A hybrid tries to overcome these issues by ensuring better breathability or ventilation. This is usually done by infusing a gel, copper, or graphite into the foam in the top layer. This helps you keep cool and sleep comfortably. Secondly, a hybrid also ensures better movement in and out of the bed.
Gel Foam Benefits
One of the most important changes to have taken place in the mattress industry is the usage of gel in the construction of mattresses. With advancements in technology, it is now possible to infuse or inject gel into the memory foam and other foams so as to cut down on heat.
What it means is that new gel-infused foam mattresses are far better equipped to regulate temperature so that you can sleep cool without sweating and at the same time enjoy the sink, a feature for which memory foam mattresses are highly popular.
The Lifespan of a Hybrid Mattress
A hybrid mattress is likely to have a long lifespan. This one of the main reasons why a majority of the best beds in 2021 are actually hybrids.
They are durable and can easily last for at least six years.
Even though the typical lifespan of a hybrid is six to eight years, it may continue to be performing for many more years.
Hybrids usually last longer than coil or innerspring mattresses. Their lifespan as almost at par with that of foam mattresses and airbed.
Hybrids typically last longer than innerspring mattresses. Their lifespan is comparable to foam mattresses and airbeds but shorter than most all-latex mattresses.
Like all other mattresses, the durability and lifespan of a hybrid depend largely on the quality of construction materials used in it. If a hybrid is manufactured with good quality materials then it is likely to be an investment for many more years.
Durability also depends upon how you use your matters and how you maintain it. If you are heavyweight, it is going to put more strain on the mattress and thus shorten its lifespan.
Here are some simple steps that you can take to increase the lifespan of the top-rated hybrid mattress that you choose to buy in 2021:
- First of all, try to use a good bed frame that is recommended by the mattress manufacturer.
- Try to clean your mattress as recommended by the manufacturer.
- If you have children or kids at home, try to limit their jumping on the bed.
- You also need to take care of some things when living with a pet. In such a case, make sure that your pet’s nails are trimmed. Better still, try to keep your pet off the mattress.
- You must also try to avoid eating or drinking in bed. Even though having food on your bed seems like a cozy idea, your bed is not the place where you should be having food. Food spills can have a damaging effect on your mattress.
- If you must eat on your bed or have a pet that is quite close to you, then you must consider using a mattress protector.
In my opinion, a hybrid is the best choice when looking for the most comfortable and long-lasting mattress. I have listed some of the best brands above so that you get value for your money.
I would also like to pint out that is there’s nothing like the “ultimate mattress” or a mattress that suits all. What you choose and need depends upon your likes and requirements. You need to take into account your sleeping position, medical conditions, body weight, etc. before you select a brand for yourself.
Having said that, I have tried to list the best brands online according to various categories so that you can choose one with ease. These are not just best selling but most comfortable so, go ahead and order one that fits your bill.