Last Updated on February 18, 2021
Your baby needs the best crib mattress of 2021 and there’s no doubt about it. You should give your baby the best sleeping conditions so that he/she can grow in the most healthy way possible.
It’s worth noting that the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says that the best thing that parents can do for their kid is to offer a safe and healthy sleep environment. You would agree with me when I say that it is not an easy task to choose the crib mattress for your little one.
To make your task simpler, I have listed some of the best crib mattresses that can help your child sleep soundly so that you too can sleep peacefully (as a parent of an eight-month-old, I know how important it is for your baby to sleep so that you don’t have to be up the whole night).
- List of Best Crib Mattresses 2021
- Best Crib Mattresses 2021 Reviews
- How to Shop for the Best Crib Mattress 2021?
- How to Choose a Crib Mattress
- SIDS and Mattress Selection
List of Best Crib Mattresses 2021
These are the top-rated crib mattresses in 2021 which you can pick for your newborn.
Best Crib Mattresses 2021 Reviews
Even though there’s no dearth of crib mattresses, there are a few that can actually help your baby sleep in ultimate comfort while being absolutely safe too. So, here are a few of such crib mattresses that you can choose from:
- Highly Breathable
- Safe for Face Sleeping Babies
- Firm Enough
Newton Baby Crib Mattress is a top-rated baby cot mattress. It is not just breathable but also comes with a removable cover that is washable and easy to maintain.
- Highly breathable crib mattress and is safe even for face-sleeping babies.
- Suitable and safe for babies that roll over while sleeping.
- Good air circulation keeps the mattress cool.
- Both cover and interior portion are easy to clean.
- Not soft, but firm enough to be safe for babies.
- Can turn quite cool so you might need to dress your child in multiple layers of clothing.
- Might require crib sheets to put on the mattress.
- Might smell like plastic.
Some of the main features of this mattress are highlighted below:
- Highly Breathable – Newton Crib Mattress comes with Breathe-THRU technology which helps your kid breathe properly without running the risk of getting suffocated.
- Temperature Control – This mattress prevents any kind of overheating so that your baby does not sweat while sleeping.
- Long-Lasting – It is supposed to have a long lifespan and can last a couple of years. It is suitable for both infants and toddlers.
- Pediatrician Recommended – One of the most important features of this crib mattress is that it is recommended by pediatricians and has also won a couple of awards in babies ‘ health and safety. It is hypoallergenic too.
- Greenguard Gold Certified – This mattress is certified to emit very low VOC’s or off-gassing
Newton Crib Mattress is indeed a good mattress that’s not just highly breathable and safe but also helps your baby sleep cool. Some people find it a bit expensive but then you know that your baby is safe while sleeping, even if it rolls over on his face.
- For Infants & Toddlers
- Lasts Longer
- GREENGUARD GOLD Certified
Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Crib Mattress is a flippable mattress that can be used from both sides. It is not just right for infants but is also a great option for toddlers. Thus, you won’t need to change it when your kid grows up to be a toddler and it can last a couple of years.
- Can be used from both sides.
- Anti-odor control.
- Easy to Clean.
- Very comfortable for the baby to sleep in.
- Lightweight mattress.
- Toddler side might also feel firm.
Some of its main features are listed below:
- Extra-firm on the infant side
- Plush on the toddler side
- Waterproof mattress
- Foam is CertiPUR certified
- Also carries GREENGUARD GOLD Certification
Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer is one crib mattress that has been getting awesome user reviews. It is the best baby mattress for those looking for one that can be used for both infants and toddlers. And if you are one of such people, you must give it a try!
- Highly Breathable
- Removable/Washable Cover
- GREENGUARD GOLD Certifief
- Good Support
This is one of the most reasonably priced crib and toddler mattress that has been getting awesome user reviews.
- Removable cover is easy to clean.
- Firm enough for infants.
- Polyurethane foam provides good support.
- Is quite breathable.
- Good budget option.
- It needs to be opened within 2 weeks of purchase to allow it to expand properly.
Some of its main features include the following:
- Complete foam mattress.
- Comes as a mattress in a box.
- Comes with a water-resistant, removable and washable cover.
- Highly breathable that allows good airflow.
- Firm enough for an infant or toddler to sleep.
- GREENGUARD Gold certified.
- Comes with a 6-year limited warranty.
Graco crib and toddler mattress is a great option for people looking for a good crib mattress on a budget. The only problem is that it can retain some heat since it is a foam mattress. Other than that, there’s hardly anything negative that can be said about. It is one of the most popular models from Graco.
- For Infants and Toddlers
- Waterproof Cover
Milliard Memory Foam Crib Mattress is another flippable model that can be used for both infants and toddlers. It is firm on one side which is just right for infants and plush on the other side that is just perfect for toddlers.
- Foam allows the baby to sleep comfortably.
- Waterproof cover.
- Does not produce sounds when the baby moves on it.
- Lasts for a couple of years and can be used for toddlers as well.
- Some users found that the cover shrunk after being washed.
Some of the main features of this crib mattress include the following:
- Suitable for both infants and toddlers
- Comes with a washable 100% cotton cover
- Foam used is CertiPur Certified
- Foam does not lose its shape with use
Millard Memory Foam Crib Mattress is a good choice that comes at a reasonable price. It is safe for infants and toddlers too. It offers good value for money.
- Only for Infants
- Only for Travelling
- Just 3-inches thick
- GRRENGUARD GOLD Certified
- Made in USA
For those of you who need a crib mattress that is portable and can fit into the portable crib, Dream On Me 3 Mini which weighs just 3 pounds is a perfect choice
- Weighs just 3 pounds.
- Very easy to carry along while traveling.
- The vinyl cover is easy to clean.
- Made in the US.
- Can be used only for infants.
- Cannot be used as a regular mattress at home.
It’s lightweight and extremely easy to carry with you when you are on the go.
Even though this mattress is light as a feather, it offers amazing support. As a matter of fact, you are going to be surprised how supportive this 3-inch mattress can be for your little one.
It is entirely made in the US and all the construction materials used are of high-quality. Since the mattress is supposed to be used in a portable crib, it is smaller than the regular crib mattress and it can be used only for infants. There’s no way you can use it for a toddler. Moreover, you should not use it as a regular crib mattress at home.
This mattress comes with a vinyl cover making it more durable. Moreover, it is quite easy to clean while traveling. All you need to do is just wipe it with a damp cloth. Alternatively, you can also use warm water and mild soap to clean this mattress. Over and above, it is supposed to be stain resistant.
Dream On Me 3 Mini is the best portable infant mattress that carries GREENGUARD certification. It is completely free of lead and phthalate. Moreover, it is quite breathable and allows free airflow so that the baby can sleep cool.
How to Shop for the Best Crib Mattress 2021?
When selecting a particular mattress for your kid, you need to have a few important things in mind and some of them could whether you should opt for spring mattress or a foam mattress or if you should opt for an organic one etc. You also need to take into account whether you need a soft mattress of a not-so-soft one etc.
Let’s delve a bit deeper into this and find out what is preferable for your child…
Types of Crib Mattresses
When it comes to crib mattresses, they could be made of foam, innerspring or organic material and these mattresses are entirely different in terms of their composition. Here’s a little more on each of them…
Foam mattresses for cribs are usually made up of polyurethane foam and they are quite light in weight as compared to other kinds of crib mattresses. When it comes to thickness, they measure up between 4 to 6 inches.
Even though there are various options available ranging from soft to firm, a vast majority are “medium-firm” or higher. When it comes to infants, its always better to opt for a firm mattress.
The support that a foam mattress offers is directly related to its density. It simply means that the denser the mattress is the more support it offers. Thus, foam with a higher density is likely to offer more support. So, if you want more support for your kid, all you have to do is buy a mattress that is made up of denser foam.
Some of the other important features of a foam mattress to consider could include the following:
- Reasonably Priced – One of the most appealing features of foam-based crib mattresses is that they are likely to be less expensive as compared to other models available on the market.
- Edge Support – When it comes to foam-based mattresses, its important to keep in mind that they provide less edge support as compared to innerspring mattresses that are supposed to be sturdier along the edges.
- Noise – One of the benefits of foam-based mattresses is that they are likely to be silent or noiseless.
- Off-Gassing – Generally, foam is more prone to off-gassing than coil or innerspring but crib mattresses are made with foam that emanates minimal odor.
The support core of innerspring mattresses comprises of steel coils. Such mattresses usually have a cushioning layer of foam or cotton on top and there is another layer of insulator pad that acts as a buffer between the kid’s body and the spring coils.
Innerspring mattresses are likely to be heavier as compared to foam mattresses, with those that are made with organic comfort layers being even heavier.
One of the most important things to keep in mind is that innerspring mattresses are generally firm enough for infants and little kids in order to avoid any risk of getting rolled over.
One of the plus points of innerspring mattresses is that they tend to provide targeted support depending upon how the weight of the child’s body is distributed over the mattress. In this sense, innerspring mattresses are likely to rate better as compared to foam mattresses.
- Durability – Even though innerspring mattresses are known to be heavy in terms of weight, they are supposed to have a longer lifespan.
- Price – Innerspring mattresses come with a steeper price tag as compared to foam mattresses. Those innerspring mattresses that come with organic compounds are likely to be even more expensive.
- Noisy – Because of a core that is made up of steel coils, such mattresses are likely to make squeaky sounds and they are not as silent as foam mattresses.
- Off-Gassing – Innerspring mattresses come with practically no off-gassing. Having said that, those that come with foam layers on top, might release some odor.
Organic or natural is another option to choose from. What it means is that a mattress is made up of organic or naturally-derived materials that are often certified by GOTS or Global Organic Textile Standards.
It is important to keep in mind that an organic mattress is not always 100% non toxic and GOTS certifies any mattress that has at least 70% natural or organic components. These mattresses generally use materials such as organic cotton, natural latex or organic wool. Not just this, they may also use polyurethane foam that is CertiPUR-US certified.
Organic crib mattresses often come with single or flippable sides, ie., they can be used from both sides and usually, one side is firmer as compared to the other.
Various models vary in terms of support that they provide. Just like a foam mattress, the support offered depends upon the thickness of the mattress. The thicker the organic mattress is, the more support it is going to provide.
- Price – While opting for an organic crib mattress, it is important to keep in mind that it is going to somewhat expensive as compared to other mattresses and this is because naturally-derived materials tend to be costlier. When looking for an organic mattress you are eying at something in the range of $150-$200.
- Availability – Even though there are some decent brands that do organic crib mattresses, the choice is limited as compared to foam or innerspring mattresses. But still, you can find a good brand that offers organic stuff.
- Noise – One of the main features of organic mattresses is that they produce very little noise, just like foam mattresses.
- Not Vey Good Edge Support – Organic mattresses rate almost the same as foam mattresses when it comes to edge support. They don’t offer great edge support.
How to Choose a Crib Mattress
Here are some vital things to keep in mind before you fill your cart:
Size of the Mattress
One of the most important things to take into consideration is the size of the mattress. Your baby should be able to sleep peacefully in the crib, that of course, remaining the priority.
But what exactly is the standard crib mattress size?
This is where CPSC comes into play. CPSC stands for Consumer Product Safety Commission which recommends that a crib or baby bed mattress dimensions should be at least 27 1/4 inches wide and 51 1/4 inches long.
So, now you have a standard to watch out for!
Moreover, CPSC also states that the mattress should not be more than 6 inches thick. Thus, you have a yardstick to measure up the size while looking for a crib mattress for your precious one.
Over and above, it is also important to have a mattress that fits perfectly inside the crib and leaves no space on the sides. This is essential so that your baby does not get trapped inside. I am sure that’s the last thing you would want your kid to experience.
While buying a crib mattress, you need to check what the cover is made up of. The cover of a crib mattress is also referred to as ticking.
Ideally, it should be made up of waterproof material so that in case there’s any leakage, it doesn’t get any deeper into the mattress.
Waterproof covers are generally made with vinyl or polyethylene and there could be single or multiple layers that not only ensure that the inner core of the mattresses stay dry but also ensure better breathability of air-flow.
One of the most important things to watch out for is that the cover should not contain phthalates or plasticizers that can be harmful to the kid’s health.
One of the most important things, in order to prevent SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), is that the baby should be able to sleep on its back. This is because it allows the kid to breathe properly and for this to happen the mattress should be firm enough so that it offers just about the right support.
The mattress that you choose for your kid should be supportive enough to allow your baby to sleep on its back so that it does not roll over on his/her stomach. It is important to note that when the baby rolls over, it runs the risk of getting suffocated.
As stated above, firmness is an important factor to prevent the kid from rolling over onto his/her stomach. The firmer the mattress the lesser this risk is. This is why firm mattresses are considered the best options for infants so that they do not sink deeper into the mattress or rollover.
As far as toddlers are concerned, you choose a mattress that is soft because toddlers are generally in more control over their movements. A lot of crib mattresses now being sold are flippable with one side being soft and the other frim so that you can use it from the firm side when your child is an infant and use it from the soft side when he/she grows into a toddler.
The weight of the mattress is another thing to consider while buying one. Mattresses that are heavy are difficult to remove from the crib. When it comes to the weight of the mattress, foam models are likely to be lighter as compared to the innerspring ones.
Watching out the edge support is also crucial. A mattress that lacks edge support can make the edges sink when the child rolls over. This can increase the chances of getting injured. Not just this, it can also increase the risk of getting suffocated.
In order to avoid this, you must lookout for a mattress that has reinforced edges.
Breathability and Temperature Regulation
One of the main causes of SIDS is overheating and this is why it is utmost important for you to select a mattress that is breathable and is able to control the temperature well so that your little one does not sleep hot.
Generally, cloth covers are known to retain more heat but they allow better airflow. On the other hand, vinyl covers tend to retain less heat. In order to increase their breathability, vinyl covers now come with perforations which allows better airflow. So, if you opt for a vinyl cover, make sure it is perforated.
As far as foam mattresses are concerned, they are likely to be silent and practically noiseless. Innerspring mattresses are prone to making squeaking sounds. Another thing to keep in mind is that a vinyl cover can produce sounds when the baby rolls around. It goes without saying that this can actually disturb your baby in sleep.
As compared to this, cloth covers are likely to be noiseless.
Ease of Cleaning and Resisting Stains
The crib mattress that you buy should be easy to maintain and clean. It is but obvious that your little one is going to spoil it with pee some time or the other, even if he/she has the diapers on. Therefore, it is important the cover of the mattress should be removable and washable. preferably machine wash.
It’s even better if it is able to resist stains and leakage.
One of the most crucial factors affecting your decision to buy a crib mattress is its price. Generally, crib mattresses are not as highly-priced as the mattresses for adults are.
You can easily buy a foam mattress within the range of $75-$150. Those that use natural or organic materials in their construction can be expensive and may cost you anywhere between $300-$400.
Mattresses that come with a vinyl cover are likely to be costlier since vinyl tends to be somewhat expensive as compared to normal cloth.
Yet another factor to take into consideration is off-gassing. Most mattresses tend to emit a smell that is referred to as off-gassing when they are unpacked for the first time. This smell usually lasts for a day or two.
Typically, foam mattresses produce more off-gassing as compared to innerspring ones. However, the good thing is that most crib mattresses are designed in a way that they produce emit minimum off-gassing.
Certification of Materials
It’s also important to check for certain certifications before you actually buy a crib mattress. Its important to check that the mattress is GREENGUARD Gold-Certified, which ascertains that it emits minimum volatile organic compounds or VOC’s.
Moreover, foam-mattress should also carry CertiPUR-US certification to make sure that the foam used in the construction of the mattress does not contain materials such as formaldehyde or lead.
As far as organic mattresses are concerned, they should carry GOTS certifications.
SIDS and Mattress Selection
What does SIDs stand for?
SIDS refers to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. In layman terms, it refers to the unexplained death of an infant while sleeping. This is why it is of great importance to choose a mattress wisely so that your child is absolutely safe while sleeping.
You will be surprised to know that every year almost 2000 newborns and infants die of SIDS in the US alone. As a matter of fact, SIDS is supposed to be the main cause of death in the US for children that are in between the age of one to 12 months.
Which kids are most prone to die of SIDS?
According to Mayo Clinic, the following kids fall in the high-risk category:
- Babies that suffer from brain defects at the time of birth. Those that suffer from defects in the part of the brain that regular breathing are more susceptible.
- Babies that are born underweight or below 2.5 kgs. This is because their brains are underdeveloped and they are not mature enough to regulate breathing and heart rate.
- Babies that suffer from respiratory problems and other breathing defects are also prone to SIDS.
What you can do to prevent SIDS?
Here are certain measures that you can take in order to prevent SIDS:
- You must make sure that your baby sleep on his/her back. This is important since those kids that sleep on their stomach run the risk of getting suffocated if the mattress is soft. They can sink deep into the mattress and this could affect airflow. So, you must try to make your infant sleep on its back.
- Furthermore, a bare and firm mattress is always the best choice for your little baby. You should avoid putting thick blankets or quilts on the mattress. Additionally, you should also avoid putting your baby to sleep with stuffed toys since he/she might suffer from breathing problems if he/she presses his/her face against the toy.
- It is also important to control and regulate temperature. One of the leading causes of SIDS is overheating. So, you should try to ensure that the crib mattress is breathable and does not lead to overheating. If it’s cold, try to cover your baby in multiple layers of clothing and never, ever cover his/her face.
- One of the best things that you can do is that you should have your baby in the same room as you for at least the first six months. You can place the crib in your room but you must avoid making your baby sleep on your bed.
- It is also a great idea to breastfeed your baby for at least six months. Interestingly, it is known that babies who are breastfed are less prone to SIDS as compared to those that are not.
Crib Mattresses FAQ’s
As parents of a little baby, I am sure you understand how important it is for your baby to get a good sleep not just for his/her own health but also so that you can get enough sleep. Thus, it is important that you choose the right crib mattress that is safe and comfortable for your little bundle of joy. So, go ahead, take your pick from the ones listed above and enjoy parenthood!